-->

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Really?

Every once in a while, I have to do a double-take. It happens a little like this: I'll see or hear something so blatantly offensive that my jaw drops, and after a deep sigh, I'll simply exclaim, "Really?" I had one of those moments when I saw a suitcase sticker available at TheCheeky.Com, so disgusting that I threw up a little in my mouth. I wasn't sure what was so cheeky about it, apart from the fact that only a demented ass would celebrate the kidnapping of women, and for the small price of fifteen dollars, you, too, can join the party.

What's next? Sex trafficking board games that allow you to abduct a young woman (black eye? earn 20 points!) and move her toward her destination in Thailand? Or maybe blow-up doll that screams when you punch her. How about an Underground Shelter Dollhouse, kidnapped teen and rapist doll included, food, water, and virginity sold separately? How cheeky is THAT? Seriously, they should hire me to come up with fun new ideas. Sales would boom.

Look, guys. I'm good with bold. I'm good with making a statement. I'm good with funny. I like to think that I have a good sense of humor. But this goes too far -- when you start to tread in the realm of human rights violations, who in their right mind is going to laugh?

"Take a stand against monotonous travel with Suitcase Stickers," the website reads. Monotonous travel is the least of our concerns, and frankly, if you think kidnapping makes travel more exciting, you need to be put in a suitcase and thrown into the ocean. What about taking a stand against human rights violations? What about taking a stand against sex trafficking? How ignorant do you really have to be? I mean, come on. If a woman in a suitcase isn't suggestive of sex trafficking, I don't know what is. CONTEXT, people, CONTEXT!

Why not step up the "cheekiness" of this sticker? Make it a child, complete with an audio tape underneath the suitcase lid that emits the sound of a shrieking, screaming girl. It's bold, it's brilliant, it's CHEEKY!

"Some of these stickers may cause offense to airport staff," the website continues. I think maybe, JUST MAYBE they're underestimating how offensive this sticker really is. You aren't offending a handful of people -- you are offending an entire population of persons whose lives were stolen by the sex industry. That is 800,000 people every year, that is millions of people in the past few decades alone. You are offending those who fight against these injustices; you are offending the families who lost their children, their siblings, their spouses. For crying out loud, you are offending any decent human being. And if you can face any one of those persons and tell them to "take a joke" - as if kidnapping is a joke, as if rape is a joke - you're sick in the head.


The good news -- we can all agree that the sticker is, at the very least, useful. "Designed to stick to anything, they will draw attention to your bag making it easily identifiable."

Ah, yes. Making you easily identifiable as a disgusting, misogynistic pig.



Pissed? Go ahead and speak your mind. If they have the right to freedom of speech, so do we. Contact them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment